Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Crepes

It was only just recently, that my husband introduced me to a thing called "Crepe Salee" (which in French, means a Salted Crepe). Instead of putting chocolate, nutella, strawberries, etc. into your crepe, you put eggs, ham, and cheese! It's delicious (especially when you eat both at one meal)!

I thought that making crepes would be difficult. But to my pleasant surprise, they're extremely easy! And all of the ingredients were things that I had lying around my house! I wanted to share this recipe with all of you so you can start making delicious crepes as well!

Crepes

PREP TIME: 7-10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15-20 minutes
SERVING SIZE: These crepes filled up both my husband and I for one dinner. I can't quite remember how many exactly it made though. But, I'm going to say the serving size is TWO.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup of all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, melted
Oil for cooking (PAM spray works okay)

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour and eggs. (If you don't have a whisk, like me, I used a fork and it seemed to work just fine.)
2. GRADUALLY add in milk and water, mixing into the flour/egg mixture.
3. Add the Salt and Butter. Mix until smooth.

*NOTE: If you've never made crepes before and you're not sure, you want your batter to be really runny. That's how it is supposed to be.

4. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour approximately 1/4 cup of the batter onto the frying pan.

*NOTE: The trick here is to swirl around the batter into a circular motion until it covers the entire frying pan. I personally used a small frying pan, but any size will work really. The bigger of a frying pan, the more batter you'll probably want to use. A small frying pan is best. Anyway, just swirl the pan in a circular motion until the batter covers the entire bottom and looks even all over.

5. Cook the crepe for approximately 2 minutes, or until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, flip over, and cook the other side.
6. Repeat for steps 5 and 6 for each crepe, remembering to re-oil the surface every time. 
7. Serve with various toppings.
FOR CREPE SALEE (Salted Crepes): serve with eggs, ham, and cheese
FOR DESSERT CREPES: Serve with chocolate, nutella, strawberries, powdered sugar, etc. (pick your favorites and add that!)


***NOTE: My internet is deciding that it wants to be sketchy right now and will not upload my awesome pictures. So, as soon as it starts working up, I will edit the post to include pictures. If you really want to see a picture of what a crepe looks like, I would advise you to go to Google Images and type in "Crepes"***

Well, this is my recipe for the week! It's quick, easy, and super delicious! It's definitely become one of the family favorites. (And I must admit, I feel just a little bit more cultured every time I eat them). I personally like to have both the Salted AND the Dessert Crepes. But, I'm sure that there's a ton of different things you can add in other than eggs or strawberries. So, get creative and see what you can come up with! If you find anything good...leave a comment or send me and e-mail at lyndsielouwalker@gmail.com!

Well, that's it. Hope you all enjoy! 

-Chef Lyndsie

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Crepes. I will have to try this recipe. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete